You’ll learn how to peak your athletes for their show.
You’ll be able to take ensure they are lean enough for stage and maximise their offseason.
You’ll learn how to periodize programme for bodybuilding.
Getting someone lean enough for stage can be difficult to do well. Coaching Physique Athletes gives you the tools to not only get someone stage ready, but to do this while taking care of their emotional and physical health as much as possible. This course covers: setting your clients up for success, bodybuilding training and periodization, cardio, setting up their diet and post show. Taking an evidence based approach from one of the best natural bodybuilding coaches in the world, this course is a must if you want to prep someone for stage.
Coaching Physique Athletes
Introduction into being a physique coach
- Be able to describe the physiological and psycho-social demands of contest preparation
- Understand the role of a coach
- Be able to define the scope of practice of a coach
Pre-Planning For Contest Preparation
- Understand the timeline for muscle gain, fat loss and diet recovery
- Be able to describe the physiological and psycho-social barriers to diet success
- Be able to develop long term plans for the phases of the offseason and competition preparation
Adherence & Consistency
- Be able to describe behaviours and approaches that negatively influence dietary adherence and consistency
- Be able to describe behaviours and approaches that positively influence dietary adherence and consistency
- Be able to develop a nutrition plan that maximizes adherence and consistency
Energy Balance & Macronutrients
- Understand the role of energy balance with regards to weight loss and weight gain
- Understand the function and role of macronutrients in a nutrition plan
- Be able to develop a nutrition plan with appropriate energy and macronutrient intakes for physique competitors
Micronutrients, Nutrient Timing & Supplementation
- Understand the role of micronutrition in a nutrition plan for physique competitors
- Be able to describe relevant aspects of nutrient timing for physique competitors
- Understand the role of supplementation in a nutrition plan for physique competitors
Resistance Training In Bodybuilding
- Be able to define the process of adaptation to a stimulus
- Understand the time course and components of muscular hypertrophy
- Be able to describe the determinants muscular hypertrophy
- Understand the philosophy of periodization and its relevance to physique competition
- Understand the influence of volume, intensity and frequency on bodybuilding training
- Be able to develop a periodization plan for bodybuilding
Acute Variables of Training
- understand the role of exercise selection in training for hypertrophy
- understand the role of rest periods in training for hypertrophy
- understand the role of tempo in training for hypertrophy
- be able to develop microcycles and individual training sessions for physique competitors
Cardiovascular Training For Bodybuilders
- Understand the role of cardiovascular training for physique competitors
- Be able to describe the effects of concurrent training on skeletal muscle adaptation
- Understand the pros and cons of various modes of cardiovascular training for physique competitors
- Be able to develop a cardiovascular training plan for physique competitors
Competition Day & Post Competition
- Be able to describe the format, judging and process of a physique competition
- Understand the effects of water, electrolyte and carbohydrate manipulation on appearance
- Understand the importance of presentation and the role of posing
- Be able to describe the physiological and psycho-social status of a competitor post-contest
- Be able to develop a peaking plan and post contest transition plan for physique competitors
About Dr Eric Helms
Eric is a coach of drug-free strength and physique competitors as part of Team 3DMJ, he has competed internationally in powerlifting with the IPF and is a pro qualified natural bodybuilder through the PNBA. He is a co-founder and reviewed of MASS, an author of the Muscle and Strength Pyramids, and multiple peer-reviewed articles in exercise science and nutrition journals. He’s taught undergraduate and graduate-level nutrition and exercise science and speaks internationally at academic and commercial conferences for fitness, nutrition and strength and conditioning.
Eric has a BSc in fitness and wellness, an MS in exercise science, a second masters in sports nutrition, a PhD in strength and conditioning, and is a research fellow for AUT at the Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand.
Register your interest
Get on the priority list for this course. We will keep you updated when it’s going to go live.